18 and older
New to programming but unsure of where to start? Heard a lot about the usefulness of the Python programming language, but don’t know how to put the pieces together? Stop struggling to learn the basics on your own and fast forward your career with this introductory bootcamp.
This workshop is designed for complete novices who have no previous experience with programming and want a gentle but comprehensive introduction to the Python programming language. We’ll start from the very beginning and incrementally build up your knowledge in tiny bites so that by the end of the day you’ll have a natural intuition about what programming is, and how its different pieces fit together.
The workshop is designed to emphasize hands-on activity, and class time is built around continuous, repetitive exercises that gradually re-enforce key concepts so that by the end of the day you will have pieced together the foundations of programming using Python’s easy, intuitive syntax. This class is ideal for students looking to kickstart their own path of knowledge acquisition and equip themselves for a lifetime of easier self-learning.Takeaways
- How to setup your own programming environment and run scripts on your computer.
- How to use variables to manipulate data.
- Python’s major data structures that store information in programs.
- Strings, and their most common methods.
- Lists and list methods.
- Dictionaries and dictionary methods.
- Control structures, and how to build logic into your programs.
- How to use functions to make program logic flexible yet powerful.
- The larger python ecosystem, and what to study next depending on your personal goals.
Finally, participants will leave with a clear pathway forward to continue python learning, either through self learning or direction towards other workshops.Preparation
This workshop is suited for someone who has never programmed before, or wants to brush up on the basics of programming before they enter one of General Assembly's Data Science workshops.
for the workshop: Please have a copy of Anaconda installed on your computer.
No previous programming experience is required for this workshop
For students enrolling in 12 week part time and immersive classes, it is not recommended that you book more than one class simultaneously.